Happy Cinco de Mayo!
Everyday leading up to Cinco de Mayo we have had a special party tip, to make your themed party a blast. Check through all our latest blog posts to give your guests, or your family, a festive Cinco de Mayo!
Todays Party Tip Number 1: A Mexican Main!
Show your guests you can really get into the festive spirit by preparing this delicious main, which is one of the most representative dishes of Mexico – Chicken Mole Poblano! Reportedly, Chicken Mole Poblano is so popular, it’s been said that ninety-nine percent of Mexicans have tried at least one type of mole. (Wikipedia.) Spicy and sweet at the same time, with an addition of CHOCOLATE?! What more could you ask for in a meal?
If you have quite a lot of guests, rather than have a sit down meal.. you could serve this meal in tiny bowls with small spoons. That way, it’s still ‘appetizer’ style!
Chicken Mole Poblano recipe
What you will need:
- 4 dried pasilla peppers (stems and seeds removed)
- 4 dried New Mexico chilies (stems and seeds removed)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 medium tomatoes (peeled and seeds removed, chopped)
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- ½ cup almonds
- ½ corn tortilla (ripped into pieces)
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate square (or more, to taste)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into bite sizes pieces)
How to: In a blender or food processor, mix together pasilla peppers, chilies, onion, garlic, tomatoes, 1 tbsp sesame seeds (the rest will be for garnish), almonds, tortilla, raisins, cloves, cinnamon and coriander. Add a small amount of water while it’s pureeing to be sure you finish with a smooth sauce. Heat 3 tbsp vegetable oil in a frying pan and fry the sauce for 10 minutes, stirring often. Mix in the chicken broth and chocolate square. Bring down the heat to very low and cook the sauce for 45 minutes. When done, the sauce should be very thick. While the sauce is simmering, in a separate stir fry pan, drizzle the remaining 1 tbsp vegetable oil. Heat over medium high heat and place bite sized chicken pieces in to the stir fry pan. Stir fry until completely browned and cooked through. Serve chicken over white rice, cover with mole sauce and sprinkle with remaining sesame seeds.
Today’s Party Tip 2: Fresh Dessert!
You can use whatever fruit you have on-hand. Citrus fruits and tree fruits work best, such as oranges, nectarines, peaches etc.
Sangria Fruit Salad Recipe
What you will need:
For the Fruit Salad:
- Kiwis, cut into bite sized pieces
- Nectarines, cut into bite sized pieces
- Grapes (green, purple) , cut into bite sized pieces
- Figs, cut into bite sized pieces
- Apples, cut into bite sized pieces
- Oranges, cut into bite sized pieces
- Peaches, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 Package Christy’s Gourmet Gifts Chardonnay Wine Brittle, broken into small pieces
- Sugar for sprinkling
For the Dressing
- 1/3 white wine
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp honey
How to: Mix all of your cut pieces of fruit in a large bowl. Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients, in a separate bowl. Pour the mixture over top of the fruit in the bowl. Sprinkle a bit of sugar, and the Chardonnay Wine Brittle pieces over your fruit salad. Serve with small bowls and spoons.
Dressing recipe is an adaptation from: Real Simple White Wine Vinaigrette
Have a great Cinco de Mayo party!